Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Ecuaflections

I would have spent today leisurely packing and recording my thoughts on a semester spent abroad for your reading pleasure. I would have spent today chatting with my host family while reflecting on four months of experiences and challenges, after returning sometime in the mid-afternoon from a great weekend at the beach. I would have passed the morning with a short bus ride and even shorter flight into Quito, since we decided to shell out $80 to fly in liue leui leue lieu of a ten-hour bus ride. I would have spelled 'lieu' correctly on the first attempt instead of flailing helplessly at my keyboard for about a minute in a stubborn refusal to use spellcheck. These sentences would be correctly structured and an enjoyable read instead of being a garbled mess of poor grammar tip-toeing the line between run-ons and "creative".

But no. The Quito airport shut down for seven hours in the middle of the day. Because of a rainstorm. And we arrived maybe half an hour ahead of the bus we took such pains to avoid. Ecuastyle.

So instead of nice, orderly, and deeply reflective musings, I leave you with this pictorialization (*Palin'd!!*) of my current mental state after slogging through the rain back in Quito:

Credit for this extremely apt caricature goes to Allie Brosh, the talented blogger behind http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com. I'm pretty surprised I haven't used or referred to this image before. It's definitely popped into my head more than once during the past four months.

SLEEP THEN PACKING! Down to the last 36 hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment